It’s strawberry season! And we are blessed here in Quebec to have so many strawberry farmers. Like any fruit, we often associate them to dessert but it can be a great balance of sweetness in a savoury dish. I bought way too many, so I’ll be posting a couple of recipes this week that feature these delicious berries.
- 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup of diced cucumbers
- 1 cup of chopped baby spinach or kale
- 1/3 crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 1/4 of chopped walnuts
- A handful of chopped fresh basil
- 2 grilled chicken breasts diced
- 1 avocado sliced
- Balsamic reduction * to make yourself: 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp of honey and a pinch of fresh pepper bring to a simmer and let reduce about 15 minutes until syrupy*
- Whole wheat or Ezekiel tortilla wraps
Throw all the ingredients together in a bowl *except the balsamic* and use the chopped salad to fill the pita. You can also eat it as is without the wrap. Since you add the balsamic only when you’re ready to serve, the mix will keep up to 2 days in the fridge without getting soggy. It’s a great way to prep fresh lunches for the week.
Try making this drink along with it too:
Strawberry Kombucha Margarita
- 1 oz of Tequila
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 sliced strawberry
- Ginger Kombucha
Muddle all the ingredients together in a salt rimmed glass, add ice and then top with the ginger flavoured Kombucha. Garnish with slices of lime and fresh strawberries.